Dunn The mission of the spirit
The office & work of the comforter in human redemption…
By Lewis Romaine Dunn
THE MISSION OF THE SPIRIT; OR, THE OFFICE AND WORK OF THE COMFORTER IN HUMAN REDEMPTION. By R EV. L. R. DUNN.’
SECOND EDITION. NEW YORK CARLTON & LANAHAN
SAN FRANCISCO: E. THOMAS.
CINCINNATI: HITCHCOCK & WALDEN.
Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1871, by CARLTON & LANAHAN, in the Office of the Librarian of Congress at Washington.
ST. PAUL’S PARSONAGE, Elizabeth, N.
CONTENTS of Dunn The Mission of the Spirit
(Note that the chapters which are links below are samples that you can read online)
1. THE PERSONALITY AND GODHEAD OF THE COMFORTER 13
2. THE PROMISE OF THE COMFORTER 24
3. THE GIFT OF THE COMFORTER THE EVIDENCE OF CHRIST’S ASCENSION AND MEDIATION 39
4. THE FULL BESTOWMENT OF THE COMFORTER CONDITIONED UPON THE DEPARTURE OF CHRIST FROM THE WORLD 45
5. THE GIFT OF THE COMFORTER —WHAT IT COMPRISES 67
6. THE COMFORTER THE SOURCE OF THE INSPIRATION OF THE SCRIPTURES 75
7. THE COMFORTER CONVINCING THE WORLD OF SIN-THE SPIRIT OF BONDAGE 93
8. THE COMFORTER AS THE REGENERATOR 107
9. THE COMFORTER AS THE WITNESS-BEARER 115
10. OBJECTIONS TO THE DOCTRINE OF THE DIRECT WITNESS OF THE COMFORTER CONSIDERED 130
11. THE COMFORTER AS THE SEALER OF GOD’S SAINTS, AND AS THE EARNEST IN THEIR HEARTS 141
12. THE COMFORTER AS OUR INTERCESSOR 151
13. THE COMFORTER AS A LEADER AND GUIDE 163
14. THE COMFORTER AS THE SANCTIFIER 178
15. THE COMFORTER RESISTED, QUENCHED, GRIEVED 194
16. THE SIN AGAINST THE HOLY GHOST 204
17. THE COMFORTER AND THE MINISTRY 229
18. THE COMFORTER AND THE CHURCH 257
19. THE DISPENSATION OF THE COMFORTER THE MOST GLORIOUS AND THE LAST 283
Author Biography Lewis Romaine Dunn
I could not find a clear Biography of Dunn. But from searching around, I would place him squarely in the Methodist-Pentecostal camp. I believe he was in the Keswick movement (his name is mentioned in Keswick the Higher Life Movement in relation to this) and I would guess that he was Wesleyan. I believe he is far back enough to not really be placed in the Modern Pentecostal Tongues movement but I am not sure about that one.